You think you know Rhiwbina well? Time to get your brain into action and to take on our big quiz and see how much you know about your local area
1. Rhiwbina Memorial Hall was officially opened in which year?
2. The legendary Rhiwbina Twmpath is what exactly?
a) an 11th century Norman motte
b) a 12th century castle ruin
c) a 13th century burial site
3. Which iconic Rhiwbina building served as an Air Raid Warden’s Post in WW2?
a) Beulah Church
b) Smart’s Garage
c) The Wendy House
4. The 2011 Dr Who Christmas Special was filmed in which street in Rhiwbina?
a) Charlotte Square
c) Y Groes
5. Rhiwbina’s Monico cinema played its last film in which year?
6. Which historical figure has connections with the Rhiwbina area?
a) Henry VIII
b) Charles II
c) Oliver Cromwell
7. Rhiwbina Living Magazine was launched in which year?
8. Which famous British actress used to live in the Garden Village as a child?
a) Angharad Rees
b) Dame Maggie Smith
c) Helen Mirren
9. Football superstar Gareth Bale once played for which school side?
a) Llanishen Fach
b) Eglwys Newydd
10. Which Rhiwbina road used to be called Homfray Road?
a) Beulah Road
11. Which legendary rock band once sponsored Rhiwbina Squirrels rugby team?
a) Def Leppard
b) Iron Maiden
12. Which local musical group can justifiably claim to be the oldest band in Wales?
a) City of Cardiff (Melingriffith) Brass Band
b) Cardiff Arms Park Male Choir
c) Caerphilly Male Voice Choir
13. Which 80s musical star was brought up on Heol Llanishen Fach?
a) Simon Le Bon
b) Rick Astley
c) Howard Jones
14. Which historical Welsh prince is said to have been killed in Rhiwbina?
a) Iestyn ap Gwrgant
b) Gruffydd ap Llywelyn
c) Owain Glyndŵr
15. Which famous screenplay and novel writer grew up in the Garden Village?
a) Russell T Davies
b) Andrew Davies
c) Gareth Evans
16. Which Rhiwbina park was originally destined to be a residential cul-de-sac?
b) Caedelyn Park
c) Llanishen Fach Park
17. In which year did Sam Warburton make his senior Welsh debut?
18. What was the name of he world-famous sheep who lived in a house with his owner in Rhiwbina?
19. Which legendary Welsh footballer once owned a sports shop on Heol-y-Deri?
a) John Charles
b) Ian Rush
c) Dean Saunders
20. What was the name given to the Rhiwbina tearooms that used to be situated on the present-day Clos-Yr-Ardd?
21. What is the nickname given to the stream that runs through Rhiwbina?
a) The Bloody Brook
b) The Babbling Brook
c) The Cold Brook
22. Outside which well-known Rhiwbina building will you find a ‘benchmark’, traditionally used to calculate mean heights above sea-level?
a) The Wendy House
b) Beulah Church
c) Rhiwbeina Primary School
23. What was the name of the former cricketer and present-day sports commentator who grew up in Rhiwbina?
a) Alan Shearer
b) Alan Sugar
c) Alan Wilkins
24. What was the name of Rhiwbina Living’s now-retired mascot who would frequently be seen at village festivals?
25. In which year did Rhiwbina railway station first open?
26. How many schools are there in Rhiwbina?