In our historical series, Steve Nicholas takes a look at life in Whitchurch and Llandaff North in bygone eras, featuring this time on pubs
A postcard view of the Canal Lock and the Cow & Snuffers at Llandaff Yard. The original Cow & Snuffers building was a small white building adjacent to the present-day building. It isn’t entirely clear how the pub derived the name but one recorded explanation states that the pub was built by Irish workers who called it the ‘Red Cow’. However, the Bishop of Llandaff, Bishop Blosse, asked them to paint a pair of snuffers on the cow’s head because his wife’s local pub in Ireland was called the Snuffers. The pub has since been converted to living accommodation known as Disraeli House.
The Railway Hotel, Station Road c.1910. The main road through Llandaff North leads to Llandaff City, linked by a road bridge which spans the River Taff. On the right-hand side of the road are several shops which include the local butchers, greengrocers and bakery.
The Three Cups, Llandaff Yard c. 1935. According to the 1891 census, the location of The Three Cups was in Canal Bank, Gabalfa. I would be interested to know the exact location of this pub and/or any other details. If you have any information, please email email@example.com
The Fox & Hounds pub was built more or less in the centre of a Roman compound. The last native Welsh Prince of Morgannwg (Glamorgan), Iestyn ap Gwrgant, was killed in a battle nearby. Legend has it that so much blood was shed at the battle that a nearby stream, which runs directly behind the pub, was, and still is, called Nant Waedlyd or the ‘Bloody Brook’.
The Masons Arms, 1937. Some of the people pictured here include C. Drucker, N. Burke, Tom O’Keefe, Bill Lane, Ted Bodman, Mr. Rowley, Mr. Jones, Ernie Mitchell, Mr. Kidwell, Alf Grimshaw and Ivor Fields.
Regulars of the Royal Oak, c.1950. First lady from the left is May Mitchell; the tallest gent in the photo is Ernest Mitchell; the lady with the button coat at the front is Loretta Mitchell.
Whitchurch Cricket Team outside the Plough c.1970. Back Row, left to right: Bob Hopkins, Glyn ‘Ten’ Thomas, Graham ‘Ainsworthy’ Haines, Ray ‘Gasto’ Glastonbury, Ed ‘Bones’ Jones, Keith ‘Weedo’ Wheadon, Gwyn Hopkins, Ray Tackle (Landlord of the Plough). Front Row, left to right: John Felton, Simon?, Vince ?, Doug Rich, David Hopkins, Wynford Hopkins, Tony Kenning.
The Plough Hotel in 1909. The Plough dates from the late nineteenth century and the original building is the one on the corner with Old Church Road. Steve Nicholas was born in Llandaff North and has published several photographic books about Whitchurch and Llandaff North. He also runs a website which is full of historical information about the area and lots of photos. You can find more at www.whitchurchandllandaff.co.uk