By Jones Battye of Rhiwbina
You may be surprised to learn that about 30% of all defects we discover during home surveys are in the garden. Well-maintained outside space can increase the value of your home by as much as 20%, or £60,000 based on the average UK house price, and yet it is often the most neglected and forgotten part of our homes. There may be many reasons for this, but there are a few easy things you can do to increase value and more importantly, to increase your own enjoyment of the space.
1. Keep things simple – it doesn’t have to be fancy and you don’t need to be the next Alan Titchmarsh to make a real difference. Most of us lead hectic lives and a low-maintenance garden is very appealing.
2. Consider the balance between your house and garden. As an example, family homes need family friendly gardens and generally that means lawn to play on and no ponds or dangerous steps or drops. A safe garden is high on the list of requirements for parents with young children. In contrast, young professionals generally don’t want the bother of a lawn but are looking for attractive seating areas and entertaining space.
3. Get the main structures right before all the pretty bits. Wonky garden walls, rotten fencing, over-grown hedges and cracked retaining walls are all common defects and can be very off-putting to potential purchasers.
4. Sheds are now officially cool and a well-cared for one is much in demand. Out-buildings offer valuable additional living space and increasingly are not just for storing the lawn mower, but have a variety of lifestyle uses including home offices, teenage dens and outdoor kitchens.
5. Everyone loves a well-designed terrace that extends the living area of the house outside. So, keep your paths and terrace weed-free and in good order, grow easy, attractive evergreen plants, such as buxus, in pots and consider paving instead of decking as it has a much longer lifespan.
So, whether you are selling or staying this Spring, or if your outdoor space is large or small, as the weather improves, perhaps it’s time to consider rediscovering the hidden value in your home.
Jones Battye are chartered surveyors in Rhiwbina.
For professional advice, property valuation and RICS Home Surveys, give us a call on 02920 625433, visit www.jonesbattye.com or pop in to see us at 5 Heol y Deri, Rhiwbina, Cardiff.
This is a sponsored post